The conversations about some of these items would have been great to listen to.
The Transportation and Safety Administration published a long list of items that you can bring with you on a carry on and/or check with your luggage. Some prohibited items you may already know about. While skimming this list, we found some pretty strange TSA permitted items. I wondered what it was like during the conversations about what can be checked, allowed in carry-on baggage or not. Get ready to be surprised!
And don’t forget if you’re flying soon, you might need a Real ID.
Yes for Carry-On : No for Checked Bags
Some things you just have to carry with you.
- Live Coral
- Live Fish
These need to be secured in a clear transparent container.
No for Carry-On : Yes for Checked Bags
These will have to be checked in at the ticket counter.
- Foam Toy Swords
- Hockey Sticks
- Magic 8 Ball (The TSA’s sense of humor comes through… For Carry-on bags: We asked the Magic 8 Ball and it told us…Outlook not so good! For Checked bags: We asked the Magic 8 Ball and it told us…It is certain!)
- Nerf Guns
- Squirt Guns
Yes for Carry-On and Checked Bags
Light sabers and wands are good to go along with your lobster (But foam toy swords are not?)
- Air Mattresses with Built-in Pump
- Artificial Skeleton Bones
- Blenders (as long as the blade is removed)
- Bread Machine
- Fishing Pole (check with the airlines for size limitations)
- Geiger Counters
- Harry Potter Wands
- Knitting Needles (but keep them sheathed or securely wrapped if checking them)
- Light Sabers (The TSA does have a sense of humor. From their website “Sadly, the technology doesn’t currently exist to create a real light saber. However, you can pack a toy light saber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.)
- Live Lobster (Check with your airline to see if they allow live lobster as a carry on. A live lobster must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container)
- Microwave (check with the airlines for their policy)
- Parachutes (with special instructions, see the TSA site)
- Scissors (if packed in a carry-on, then the length from the pivot point must be less than four inches)
- Solar Panels (check with the airlines)
- Tortilla Press
No for Carry-On and Checked Bags
Don’t even think about packing these.
- Alcoholic Beverages over 140 proof
- Bear Spray
- Cooking Spray
- Hand Grenades
- Rocket Launcher
In addition to these strange TSA permitted items, don't forget about the Liquids Rule... Use travel size containers that are 3.4 ounces or less per item. Place all of the items in a 1 quart-sized resealable bag for a carry-on bag. Anything larger will have to be in checked baggage.
Copyright 2020 KSLA/Ark-La-Tex Weekend. All rights reserved.