Late summer is the perfect time for watermelons and in McCurtain County, Oklahoma is about to celebrate the sweet fruit with the Valliant 2021 20th Annual Watermelon Festival. Make the trip up to the festival at City Park on July 30 and 31, 2021. Once again, the festival features all things watermelon from the free slices you can eat from 10:00am to 3:00pm to the pageant to the seed spitting and watermelon eating contests. We’re sure you can buy a few melons to take home with you too.
Friday night kicks off with a festival parade at 6:00pm followed by the Gospel Night in the Park at 7:00pm. On Saturday, spend the day in Valliant with the following fun times…
- 6:30am – 5K and Kids Fun Run
- 8:00am – 2:00pm – Car Show at Blackcard Community Garden
- 9:00sam – Horseshoe Tournament
- 9:30am – Turtle Races
- 10:00am – Dachshund Races
- 10:00am – Noon – Watermelon Pageant
- 10:30am – Checkers & Domino Tournaments
- 11:30am – Watermelon Games – Seed spitting & watermelon eating
- Noon – Big Watermelon Weigh-off
- 4:00pm – Choctaw Nation Youth Stickball Tournament (Valliant HS Football Field)
- 6:00pm – Watermelon Bingo
Some of the all day outdoor events include bounce houses, a petting zoo, water slides and kids games. Cool off with indoor events! The Terry Hunt Community Building features local craft and food vendors and a photography show.
The McCurtain County Health Department plans to be in attendance with their Mobile Unit to provide Covid-19 vaccines.
Make sure you read these tips before you go! That way you can take the perfect watermelon home from the Valliant Watermelon Festival.
COPYRIGHT 2021, GRAY MEDIA GROUP, INC.