Everything you wanted to know about Prize Fest!
You probably have heard about the Louisiana Film Prize but that’s just one of several prizes given out at Prize Fest. From October 2-6, 2019 you can be apart of one the most unique street festivals in the region. Tickets are available here for each prize or select from many packaged options. Here’s the schedule for the 2019 Prize Fest…
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2
- 6:00pm Food Prize Come and Get It! A Food, Wine and Spirits Experience – Remington Suite Hotel
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 3
- 11:30am – Food Prize Chef Demonstration Lunch – Remington Suite Hotel
- 3:00pm – Film Prize screenings – Robinson Film Center & Central Artstation.
- 5:00pm – Box Office opens – Tipitinas Music Co-Op | Mixed! A Food Prize Mixology Experience – Remington Suite Hotel
- 6:15pm – Film Prize screenings – Nouveau Theater
- 7:00pm – Music Prize Discovery Showcase – Music Prize Garage
- 8:30pm – Thursday Voting Session – Tipitinas Music Co-Op
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 4
- 8:00am – Box Office and voting opens – Tipitinas Music Co-Op
- 9:00am – Film Prize Screenings – Robinson Film Center, Nouveau Theater, Crystal Stairs Restaurant, Central Artstation and Scottish Rite Temple. Check the full schedule for start times.
- 12:30pm – Film Prize Screenings – East Bank Theater
- 5:00pm – Top 20 Filmakers on the Red Carpet followed by Filmmaker Toast at 6:00pm – 700 Block of Texas Street
- 7:00pm – Food Prize Battle of the Golden Fork Cookoff – 700 Block of Texas Street
- 8:30pm – Fashion Prize Final Competition – Music Prize Garage
- 10:30pm – Fashion Prize Afterparty – Music Prize Garage
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5
- 8:00am – Box Office and voting opens – Tipitinas Music Co-Op
- 9:00am – Film Prize Screenings – Robinson Film Center, Nouveau Theater, Crystal Stairs Restaurant, Central Artstation and Scottish Rite Temple. Check the full schedule for start times. | Film Industry Meetup and Panels – 2nd Floor at Robinson Film Center
- 11:00pm – Food Prize Second Annual Gospel Brunch – Music Prize Garage | Film Prize Screenings – East Bank Theater
- 1:00pm – Film Prize interviews with filmmakers about their film. Click here to see the order of films.
- 1:45pm – Film Prize Best Actress Roundtable – East Bank Theater
- 5:30pm – Film Prize Best Actor Roundtable – East Bank Theater
- 6:30pm – Music Prize Party and Second Line with Seratones and New Breed Brass Band – Starts at Riverview Hall and parades to Red River Revel main stage.
- 10:00pm – Prize Fest Big Exhale Toast – Artisans Court
The prize that started it all. Dozens of filmmakers submitted short films that were shot in the Shreveport area. In August, 20 top films were announced at a special event. See all 20 short films and cast your vote for your favorite. Watch the short films in two screening blocks called “slates.” Your vote along with all the other votes will make up 50% of the total judging. The other 50% will be from the film industry professionals that are coming in from across the country. One film will win the $50,000 prize. Also vote for your favorite actress and actor and two of them will win $1,000.
- Robinson Film Center (617 Texas St., Shreveport)
- Central Artstation (801 Crockett St., Shreveport)
- Scottish Rite Temple (725 Cotton St., Shreveport)
- Underground: Nouveau (616 Texas St., Shreveport)
- Bossier Arts Council’s East Bank Theater (630 Barksdale Blvd., Bossier City)
Local bands compete in front of you and industry judges. Each band will play for 30 minutes and you’ll get to vote with a token in the bread jar. Extra tokens will be available for $5 each. The grand prize band wins $2,500. The main event happens at the Music Prize Garage at 211 Market Street (across from the Shreveport Convention Center) on Thursday, October 3 at 7:00pm.
As a bonus this year, everyone can participate in a Second Line Parade on Saturday, October 5! If you have a Music Pass or Red River Revel admission, meet up at Riverview Hall at 6:00pm. Everyone will parade down the street and into Festival Plaza. Leading the parade will be Shreveport’s own Seratones and the New Breed Bass Band from New Orleans.
The best in local chefs compete to claim the “Golden Fork.” Early in the year, several Golden Fork Dinners took place to narrow down the field of incredible chefs down to eight. Those eight competed in the semifinal battles in early September. Now only five remain. In addition to the final coming up during Prize Fest, there are other culinary events to look forward to.
- Come and Get It! – Celebrity chefs from around the country come to town to prepare one-of-a-kind tastings. Tickets are available for Wednesday, October 2 at 6:00pm at the Remington Suite Hotel.
- Lunch with Celebrity Chefs – Thursday, October 3 at 11:30am at the Remington Suite Hotel. See how the celebrity chefs make their finest lunches.
- Mixed at the Prize – Local bartenders team up with celebrity chefs! Taste these snacks perfectly paired with creative cocktails. Thursday, October 3 at 5:00pm at the Remington Suite Hotel.
- Battle for the Golden Fork Cookoff – This is it! Find out which local chef wins it all! Watch as they discover what ingredients they have inside the mystery basket. Contestants have 45 minutes to make a spectacular dish in front of celebrity judges. Winner receives the Golden Fork trophy and $5,000. This event is free to the public! It all goes down on Friday, October 4 at 7:00pm inside the Prize Big Top in the middle of 700 Texas Street.
- Second Annual Gospel Brunch – Listen to gospel music and be filled with joyous testament while enjoying brunch favorites and libations. Chef Regina Charboneau will prepare her world-renowned biscuits! Tickets are available for Saturday, October 5 at 11:00am.
The newest prize honors local fashion designers. In May, many designers showcased their looks on the runway at the Fashion Project hosted by The Agora Borealis. The Dare Pool Club at Horseshoe Casino was transformed in a fashion show complete with runway. Three designers advanced to the Fashion Prize finals. The finals occur on Friday, October 4 at 8:30pm at the Music Prize Garage. The winner receives a trip to New York to study with a successful fashion designer.
It’s the “must see” comedy event of the year. Local comic geniuses performed at warm up shows on September 20 (at The Port Grill) and 28 (at LOL Comedy Club). On Saturday, October 5 at 9:00pm, make sure to see the final comedic event. The show starts at 9:00pm.
For more information, head over to the Prize Fest website. Also follow them on social media and don’t forget to use the hashtags #youaretheprize, #vivalafilmprize and #iamthefilmprize.
Make sure to stop by our Prize Fest page for the latest and greatest stories about Film Prize, Music Prize, Food Prize and Fashion Prize.