Love your world and learn about Earth Day
It’s a day to celebrate the planet we live on. Earth Day 2020 happens on Wednesday, April 22. Here are a few facts you might not know about Earth Day…
- Earth Day started in 1970, it was originally set to be celebrated in March, but was later chosen to be celebrated on April 22.
- Earth Day was created to focus on the environment.
- In the last 30 years, over 200 million people in 141 different countries participated in Earth Day events.
- Now, 193 countries celebrate Earth Day worldwide.
- Climate Action is the theme for Earth Day 2020.
- Gaylord Nelson, former U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, is the person who came up with the idea to make Earth Day a national day.
- Earth day is a great time to help the environment by reducing the amount of time we drive and start using alternative transportation methods.
- In terms of eco-friendly ways of commuting, According to the census less than 1 percent of people in the U.S. rode a bike to work.
- According to the United States Census, wood products heat only 2 percent of homes.
- Wind energy is a clean green energy that doesn’t cause a lot of pollution.
- Solar Energy converts energy from sunlight into electricity. Cheaper than fossil fuels, many consider solar energy to be a safe alternative to toxic fossil fuels such as coal and gas which produce air pollution.
- Geothermal energy Is heat energy from the earth, its used for cooking and electrical power generation.
See the wonders of our world in area State Parks and National Parks.
Copyright 2020 KSLA/Ark-La-Tex Weekend. All Rights Reserved.