More than yellow, sweet fruit.
The venerable banana. It’s one of the most popular fruits consumed in the world with a lot of appeal. But how much do you know about them? Read these facts about bananas that you might not know about.
1. When life gives you overripe bananas, make banana nut bread or muffins.
2. You can polish silverware with the inside of the banana peel (remove the stringy stuff first) and then buff it with a paper towel. Also works for CDs and DVDs that skip.
3. Mash up a ripe banana, mix it with some yogurt and honey and smear it all over your face. The banana face mask moisturizes your skin.
4. You can eat a ripened banana peel. Wash the peel thoroughly and you can use it in smoothies, make it into a banana vinegar or add it to meat and roast it to make the meat more tender.
5. Bananas pack a punch in Potassium, Vitamin A, Calcium, Vitamin C and Iron. It is high in carbs though.
6. India grows the most bananas with an average of 29 millions tons per year according to the United Nations. China, Philippines, Ecuador and Brazil come in next for growing the fruit.
7. Plantains are cousins to the bananas. They contain more starch and usually requires to be cooked before eating. Africa grows the most plantains.
8. There are over 1,000 types of the fruit with skin colors from blue to black to white. The variety you see in most in stores is the Cavendish banana.
9. For real banana aficionados, the Mecca for you would be the International Banana Museum located in Mecca, California where you will learn a LOT more facts about bananas.
Looking for more healthy facts? Check out what we discovered about catfish.
COPYRIGHT 2021, GRAY MEDIA GROUP, INC.