You can get a glimpse of Union Pacific’s historic Big Boy steam locomotive No. 4014. It is the world’s only operating Big Boy train engine and its the largest working locomotive.
Big Boy No. 4014 was delivered to Union Pacific in December 1941. The locomotive was retired in December 1961, having traveled 1,031,205 miles in its 20 years in service. Union Pacific reacquired No. 4014 and began a multi-year restoration process. It returned to service in May 2019. The locomotive will be in the Ark-La-Tex from November 10, 2019 through November 13, 2019. The train may only be available for viewing for 15 minutes before it heads to the next location! The schedule may shift due to weather and other delays.
Schedule (courtesy of Union Pacific)
Sunday, November 10
- Longview, Tex. (920 E. Pacific St.) – Arrives at 1:00pm. Departs 1:15pm
- Marshall, Tex. (Lake St. & Main St.) – Arrives at 3:40pm
Monday, November 11
- Marshall, Tex. (Lake St. & Main St.) – On display from 9:00am-3:00pm
Tuesday, November 12
- Atlanta, Tex. (W. Tipton St. & S. West St.) – Arrives at 10:15am. Departs 10:30am
- Texarkana, Ark. (100 E. Front St.) – Arrives at 11:30am. Departs 12:15pm
- Hope, Ark. (100 E. Division) – Arrives at 1:45pm. Departs 2:15pm
- Prescott, Ark. (403 W. 1st St.) – Arrives 3:00pm
Wednesday, November 13
- Prescott, Ark. (403 W. 1st St.) – Departs 9:00am
Dubbed the “Great Race Across the Southwest,” the Big Boy is touring the Union Pacific system throughout the year to commemorate the transcontinental railroad’s 150th anniversary.
Related Topic: A favorite holiday train will soon be riding the rails in the Ark-La-Tex.