Next time you’re relishing this confectionary treat, think about some of these quirky chocolate facts.
- Chocolate was first brought to Europe on July 7, 1550. That’s why we celebrate on that day (and many others).
- Cocoa beans were considered more valuable than gold dust in the Mayan culture.
- 15,000 gallons of water mixed with cream and chocolate made the river in the 1971 movie “Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.”
- The largest bar of chocolate weighed in 12,770 lbs and 4.48oz. Thortons’ Chocolate in Alfreton, United Kingdom to celebrate their 100th anniversary.
- Ghirardelli Chocolate is America’s longest continuously operating chocolate manufacturer.
- It takes between 300-400 beans to make a single pound of the good stuff.
- The cacao bean is native to Latin and South America. However, Africa is the world’s leading producer of the beans.
- Some soldiers were paid with chocolate during the Revolutionary War.
- One of the biggest chocolate sellers in the world is the Brussels Airport.
- There are 4 kinds of chocolate: milk, dark, white, and blond.
- World Chocolate Day is celebrated on July 7.
- Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup was used by Alfred Hitchcock for the famous shower stabbing scene in
We found a terrific Double Decadent Chocolate Cupcake recipe you need to try.